There are many reasons as to why you may wish to export your WhatsApp chat. One of them may be done to store the chats elsewhere securely. WhatsApp provides different ways to back up your chats and media files.
You can choose to back up the chats automatically to Google Drive or the manual way where you export the chats and choose where to back them up. In this article, we will show you how to export your WhatsApp chat history on both Android and iOS.
How to Export WhatsApp Chat on Android
- First, Open the individual or group chat you want to export its chat
2. Tap the More Options button
3. Select More
4. Choose Export chat
5. Select whether you want to export with or without media files. If not, choose Without Media.
Keep in mind, the inclusion of media files means that the backup file will be larger. Also, including media in your export will limit the export to include up to 10,000 latest messages compared to up to 40,000 if you do so without media. But these limitations are all due to maximum email file size.
6. Choose how you wish to share the file. You can save to Google Drive directly or via an email service like Gmail. If you choose the email route, you will be taken to Gmail to enter the recipient of the chat. In this case don’t input anything, so the email and the .txt document can be saved as drafts. You can therefore view the draft and download the chat history on your device.
How to Export WhatsApp Chat on iPhone
On iOS, the process is alittle bit different. Here’s how you can export a WhatsApp chat on your iPhone.
- Open the individual or group chat you’d like to save.
- Tap the contact’s name or group subject.
- Tap Export Chat
- Select if you want to export with or without media files
- Open the Mail app.
- Enter your other email address and tap send.
Read more iPhone tips and tricks.
Read Next: How to mute a chat Forever on WhatsApp